Thursday 28 February 2008

Go Taupo Ironman competitors!

I'm really excited. Tomorrow night I leave for Taupo to watch the Ironman race. I'm hoping to catch up with some fellow bloggers, and some shopping - of course!
I'm battling a nasty late summer 'flu, which seems to have everyone around here laid out too! I can't believe how sick I've been since I've stopped the long hours of training! Once I'm better I'm back into it!

Just read this article though, which is slightly depressing, but I can see the truth in it:

MOVE IT TO LOSE IT - Runners World Feb. 2008

It doesn't seem fair, but those who are battling the bulge will have to exercise up to twice as much to maintain their desired weight than those who have always been physically blessed. According to Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, current public recommendations call for a 30-60 minutes a day of physical activity to avoid weight gain, and 60-90 minutes a day to avoid weight regain after having shed some kilos. In the trial, researchers found the majority of successful weight maintainers (who had lost at least 30 kilograms and kept it off for an average of 14 years) had to work out intensely for more than 60 minutes a day. Despite their higher physical activity duration and intensity, the maintainers group's average BMI of 22 was higher than the normal group, whose average BMI was 21.1.

I'll let you know next week whether I decide to tackle IMNZ 2009 or not!!!

Cheers,

No comments: